Since the beginning of 2015 the procedure is carried out in two steps:
1. Application for admission
After the approval by the Primary Advisor, prospective students are required to apply for admission to the doctoral studies at the University of Basel.
For all other students, i.e. not matriculated at the University of Basel, submit the following documents to the Student Administration Office:
- Online application form
- Check list (Word file)
- Affirmation of Primary Advisor (request form) - includes guarantee of financial support
- PhD project description (2000 - 5000 characters, 0.5 - 1 page, self-written)
- Curriculum vitae in table form (Sample)
- Authenticated copies of Master's degree certificates, transcripts and diploma supplement (Guidelines)
- Copies of Bachelor's degree certificates, transcripts and diploma supplement
- Certificate of eligibility for university entrance (copy)
- Copy of passport or identity card (back and front)
Please note that applications can be submitted to the Student Adminstration Office throughout the year and at least three weeks before the PhD Board of Medical Faculty (Promotionsausschuss) meeting.
The Student Administration Office processes the application and passes it to the Faculty PhD Student Office. The final decision is provided by the PhD Board of Medical Faculty which meets regularly.
After the acceptance of the application the candidate can enroll as a PhD student at the Student Administration Office.
2. Submission of PhD agreement with full research proposal
The following documents need to be submitted to the Faculty PhD Student Office within six months after the acceptance of the application: